New Topps On Demand. Rebels Set

• March 15, 2018 at 8:49 pm #1453
      cathy
      Participant

https://www.topps.com/ondemand.html

Topps has released a new On Demand set for the Star Wars Rebels finale.
      This is the second On Demand Star Wars set, and part of a trend I think we can expect to continue . Offering smaller, complete sets, with a guaranteed premium card, can clearly be attractive to many collectors who might not otherwise buy trading cards by the box or the pack.

This set is 20 cards, with a guaranteed Autograph card. The set cost is $50. Given what a typical autograph card costs, this isn’t a terrible price, though many collectors might find it a bit steep.

Odds are not given on various autographs you might receive. It is important to remember, that your autograph might be a series regular from Rebels, or it might be a special guest star who appeared on the show at some point during the shows many years.

Also important to remember, this is an On Demand set. How many will be printed won’t be known until after sales close. So how ‘rare’ the set is overall is another unknown that some traditional collectors might not love. Or maybe they will! After all, traditional cards sold by the box/pack are printed in VERY large quantities, so even a very popular on demand set is likely to have fewer sets produced overall than a traditional card set.

What do you think of these On Demand sets, and how likely are you to buy this one. It’s only available for a limited time, so you need to decide soon if you want it. Given that most collectors are likely to only buy ONE of these, it isn’t likely you will find them on the secondary market for at least a few years. Another positive about this type of set?

Cathy

• March 20, 2018 at 3:32 pm #1681
      boehardeen
      Participant

Loved Rebels and I was lucky to see this post about 20 minutes prior to the sale ending.
      Thanks for the heads up!
      I didn’t even know about the season 4 preview ON-Demand set – missed that one.
      Thanks, Steve

• March 21, 2018 at 9:25 pm #1686
      dcarleton
      Participant

There are pluses and minuses to this type of release. The pluses are you do get a full base set and it is usually a very limited release. The minuses are you have to be quick to order, as the ordering period is very short. And it’s almost impossible to chase down all of the chase cards due to the limited release. I also miss the excitement of opening up a box and breaking the packs open. I guess I’m just a Rebel at heart… Dan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.